THE LION KING EXPERIENCE GRANT
Disney Theatrical Group will gift a limited number of accredited US public elementary schools with The Lion King Experience: KIDS Edition, and a limited number of US public middle schools with The Lion King Experience: JR. Edition, free of charge, semi-annually.
In addition to a performance license to produce The Lion King JR., a 60-minute adaptation of the Broadway production created especially for middle school students or The Lion King KIDS, a 30-minute production designed specifically for elementary school students, Disney’s The Lion King Experience features a rigorous, multi-media curriculum designed to introduce you and your students to a wide range of theatrical skills. This easy-to-use program has been developed to give you all the tools you need to explore, create, and share the arts with your students.
The grant will include a comprehensive ShowKit®, rights to hold public performances of The Lion King JR. or The Lion King KIDS, and access to The Lion King Experience website for a year.
Curriculum Materials include:
- Step-by-step lesson plans and accompanying student materials
- Three djembe drums & totems
- Access to LionKingExperience.com
- Sessions DVD
- Materials Disc
ShowKit® Materials include:
- Director's Guide
- Piano / Vocal Score
- 30 Actor's Scripts
- Rehearsal and Accompaniment CDs
- Choreography DVD
- Demonstration DVD
- Resources Disc
The grant will provide the standard ShowKit® outlined above. Should the school elect to use additional materials, such as additional scripts, they may be purchased separately and are the school’s responsibility. The grant is non-transferable and no refunds, exchanges, or cash equivalent of retail value are available.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, schools must meet the following minimum criteria:
- 50% free or reduced-lunch rate or higher
- Be an accredited public elementary or middle school in the United States
- Illustrate an understanding of the benefits of arts education
- Demonstrate need, as well as the capacity to support student production and theater learning, and identify a qualified instructor to implement the curriculum
- Showcase compelling reasons for selection
- Demonstrate the ability to provide space, time, and resources to support The Lion King Experience, and to use the curriculum and produce the show with either 3rd-6th graders (KIDS Edition) or 6th-9th graders (JR. Edition)
- Provide a plan to complete both the curriculum and show within one calendar year of receiving the materials
A school that does not qualify for all of the above criteria will not be considered for this opportunity. Schools will be expected to fulfill grant reporting requirements and be responsive to any inquiries of Disney Theatrical Group pertaining to the progress of the students and/or the show.
Note: Disney Theatrical Group reserves the right to redistribute the awarded materials if the school fails to utilize the materials within one calendar year of receiving them, or if the school no longer meets the criteria above.
Grants will be awarded twice annually.
- The Spring 2018 deadline is April 1. Applicants will be notified by May 15th.
- The Fall 2018 deadline is October 1. Applicants will be notified by November 15th.
Any applications received after the above deadlines will automatically be put into the next cycle for consideration.
Recipients must claim the grant within 15 days of being notified. The license for The Lion King Experience will then be valid for 1 year. Schools wishing to perform the show between May 2018-May 2019 should apply by April 1, 2018. Schools wishing to perform the show between November 2018 – November 2019 should apply between April 2 – October 1, 2018.
By filling out the application below you are confirming that your school meets or exceeds the above criteria and that you are an authorized representative for your school.
Please review the questions and answer as clearly, thoroughly, and specifically as possible. All questions must be answered in full in order to be considered – any vague responses or omissions will result in your school being eliminated from the review process.